i386/87356: 6.0 RC1 cannot see 250GB drive

Reed Loefgren rloef at interfold.com
Wed Oct 12 19:20:17 PDT 2005

>Number:         87356
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       6.0 RC1 cannot see 250GB drive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
   This is on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0 MB, Nvidia 2 chipset. 512MB x 2 RAM. Western Digital 250GB SE drive with 8MB cache (new.) The MB reported this drive as 137GB, but sysinstall could not even see it. I put it in a    Compaq EN 866MHz PIII and sysinstall installed everything fine, even saw it as 238GB drive. Pulled the drive and put it back in the ASUS box and at boot time I get an error about something like 'error ATA identify blah blah' and then the box freezes totally with the floppy drive light on and steady. Have to kill the box with the MB power switch on the back. This box runs 4.11R-p12 fine but recently had a 120GB ad3 go out, screwing up the 40GB ad0. A buildworld (hopefully) has fixed that.
>How-To-Repeat:
Problem is consistent: Put in the 250 gig and boot. error ATA identify. Freeze.