i386/87085: Will not install on Microtel system

Joshua Belsky jjbelsky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 11:00:33 PDT 2005

>Number:         87085
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Will not install on Microtel system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I bought that $199 Microtel machine from Wal-Mart. It's got a ASRock K7S41GX motherboard in it. As soon as the kernel loads when I try to install the OS, the machine hangs. This is the case for 4.11 and 5.4. (I also tried installing OpenBSD 3.7 with the same results.) This machine runs various Linux distributions fine, it runs Windows fine, and it even runs ReactOS, the pre-alpha open-source Windows clone.
Get your hands on one of those Wal-Mart Microtel machines (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3356850) and try installing on it. You might also just try installing on a machine with an ASRock K7S41GX motherboard, to see if it works there.

>Fix:
              None