i386/91075: no X configuration on installation.

Jeff Killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Thu Dec 29 21:10:05 PST 2005

>Number:         91075
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       no X configuration on installation.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD e-mach 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

              situation:
I have tried to install FreeBSD v6.0 on an eMachine with Intel Celeron 2.5 Ghz twice.
both times specifying xserver installation.
I was not offered the process of configuring the X server (as in earlier versions
of FreeBSD, 5.2.1 and 4.1.1)
So, X would not start and the hard copy manual seems to be out of date with the
current version because it refers to files that don't exist on this system, at least
not in the location specified. Version 4.1.1 even had a script that could be run
after installation to configure the X server.
However x.org is new to me and the manuals don't seem to have any info on it.

The following is the output of uname -E:

FreeBSD e-mach 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The last line of output is 'Failed to to load module "fbdev" ( module does not exist, 0)'

>How-To-Repeat:
        run startx (as root) on any terminal
Install and not be given opportunity to configure the server.
>Fix:
              to start supply the fbdev module or tell me where on the system I  can find it and what to do when I do. (I have purchased two versions of FreeBSD, 5.2.1 and now 6.0. So it's not like I'm whining and not paying for something). Please forgive me if this is antagonizing you, that is not my aim. You can direct me to a more appropriate source for guidance on getting this system going if necessary.
thank you
Jeff Killen