i386/72046: files system full error on install of 4.10

Charles R. Hunter crh at physics.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 23 19:00:42 PDT 2004

>Number:         72046
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       files system full error on install of 4.10
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When attempting to install FreeBSD 4.10 from floppies ( 2 disks)
I am able to configure the entire install as normal, but when the files
begin to download from the net, slash fills up and the install fails.
This is the same symptoms as bug report  i386/61163 however
I have a completely blank drive ( 40GB IDE in a Toshiba 2180CDT )
AND I am installing off of the network, not a CD
>How-To-Repeat:
Well, it happens every time for me... :)
>Fix:
Well, I have a hunch that it is some sort of environment error .... or
sysinstall typo somewhere.

the downloaded files are for some reason being installed into the "current" slash on
the MFS based / (built from the mfsroot disk) instead of being dumped to what will be
the "real" slash, currently mounted on /mnt.
At least this is the case for me. No one else reported this detail, but I bet it was the
same for them too.