i386/67703: Cdparanoia crashes and forces reboot

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 07:10:24 GMT 2004

>Number:         67703
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Cdparanoia crashes and forces reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I've been having this issue for as long as I can remember, well back into the 4.x series. I go to rip a cd with the utility cdparanoia. I typically use a simple command like "cdparanoia -B -v". It starts out fine, and can go for several tracks, but sometimes, I'm assuming when it finds a flaw on the cd, it completely crashes. I am unable to kill -9 it, nor can I access the cd-rom or even open it with the hardware button. I am forced to reboot the computer to make any use of the cd-rom. I have two LG burners, one being a 52x24x52 and the other a 4x2x24. The strangest thing is that it never seems to happen in single-user mode. Cdparanoia doesn't give any error message; it just locks up. However, there are some messages from the kernel when it dies:

Jun  8 01:41:10 kenshi kernel: acd1: WARNING - READ_CD interrupt was seen but timeout fired
Jun  8 01:41:40 kenshi kernel: acd1: WARNING - READ_CD interrupt was seen but timeout fired
Jun  8 01:42:10 kenshi kernel: acd1: WARNING - READ_CD interrupt was seen but taskqueue stalled
>How-To-Repeat:
Try to rip most cd's. I'm not sure what it is about the cd's and tracks it locks up on, but it seems to be the same cd's at the same spots. I'm also unsure what's unique about my computer that makes it happen on mine but not others.