i386/63305: reading udf filesystem on dvd+rw leads to crash/reboot

Christoph Bodner christoph.bodner at chello.at
Tue Feb 24 04:50:12 PST 2004

>Number:         63305
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       reading udf filesystem on dvd+rw leads to crash/reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD tweety.bodner 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #1: Mon Feb 23 08:11:32 CET 2004     root at tweety.bodner:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

After mounting (mount_udf) a DVD+RW which has been previously written to from Windows 2000 (B's Clip/B.H.A - UDF package writter, Version 5.38) crashed GNOME/Nautilus and thereafter the system rebooted spontaneously beginning with counting up the memory.

Spontaneously rebooting also happened under Windows 2000 before installing a so-called "hardware accelerator" driver from Intel. Maybe my DVD-drive from LG doesn't like the specific Intel-ATAPI-controller on the mainboard.
>How-To-Repeat:
See 'full description' and try the same under similar conditions.
>Fix:
I know that UDF support is in alpha state. Don't use UDF package writing for DVD+RWs at all, especially not with Windows 2000.

Under FreeBSD, mkisofs and burncd (using -F option) works with DVD+RWs.

Nevertheless, I would like to help the FreeBSD-communtiy to fix this crash/reboot behaviour. But how can I collect the necessary debug infos?