i386/75570: chflags nosappnd directory doesn't work

Andras Got andrej at antiszoc.hu
Tue Dec 28 05:50:23 PST 2004

>Number:         75570
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       chflags nosappnd directory doesn't work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD linda.chello.hu 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov 12 11:32:41 CET 2004     root at hostname:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ANDREJ  i386

I tried some of these filesystem flags, on a test directory and found out that unsetting the sappend flag doesn't work. I got the following:
#chflags nosappnd test/
#chflags: test/: Operation not permitted

ls -lo says there's the flag on the dir, as i set it

>How-To-Repeat:
#chflags sappnd test/
then try to unset with nosappnd
>Fix:
I think it checks that if any changes can be made to the directory, but of course it's in append only mode so no changes can be made.