i386/75201: nge driver causes FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and STABLE to panic

Joe sp0ng3b0b at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 12:00:52 PST 2004

>Number:         75201
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       nge driver causes FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and STABLE to panic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD host.domain.net 5.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2 #2: Wed Dec  8 21:13:33 PST 2004     root at host.domain.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

As of FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, multiple systems of mine are getting panics and crashing. The "current process" field of the panic message is "nge0" a fiber network interface. The systems will run fine until the interface starts to recieve traffic, the OS panics.

All of the systems successfully ran 5.2.1-RELEASE with no problems. I performed a fresh install of 5.3-RELEASE.

I also tried 5.3-STABLE, but no success. I also tried a custom kernel and removed all non-existant hardware. Same results.

Here is the PANIC message:
fault virtual address    = 0x8
fault code        = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xc055a002
stack pointer        = 0x10:0xe32a2c9c
frame pointer        = 0x10:0xe32a2cac
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
            = DPL 0, pres 1, def 2 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resuep, IOPL = 0
current process        = 27 (irq17: nge0)
trap number        = 12
panic: page fault

Here is my hardware list

Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz CPU
1GB RAM
80GB Maxtor HD
(1x) Intel 82801DB (ICH4) Pro/100 Ethernet
(6x) NetGear GA621 fiber 1GB NIC (nge driver)

On the file servers:
Intel 2.4 GHz
Intel 865 PERL Motherboard
1GB RAM
80GB IDE HD

I posted this problem to freebsd-questions. So has someone else. No one replied. I'm not sure if the problem is the DRIVER or the changes that were made to the OS that affect how the OS interacts with the driver.
>How-To-Repeat:
Turn the interface up with ifconfig. If it is an IDS and is plugged into a fiber tap, the OS will crash immediately, If the host is a file server, transfer some files of size (I tested with mp3s and docs from one client) files via scp, ftp, smb, or http. The OS will panic after a few seconds.