subject=Re: i386/70925: 5.3Beta1 acpi-pc driver failure, ata disk attachment failure, machine hang.

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Sun Aug 29 14:20:31 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR i386/70925; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Will Saxon" <WillS at housing.ufl.edu>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org>, <jiafu_he at yahoo.com>
Subject: subject=Re: i386/70925: 5.3Beta1 acpi-pc driver failure, ata disk attachment failure, machine hang.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:25 -0400

 I haven't got a log to attach since I am using the machine that has the =
 boot problem.

 This disk hang is happening to me also with a current 5.3-BETA2 i386 ISO =
 and also a=20
 5.3-BETA2 kernel on an existing amd64 installation. If I have the SATA =
 controller
 enabled and allow ACPI to be loaded, boot will proceed to the point =
 where the SATA=20
 drive would be detected, then it hangs.=20

 I am able to boot normally if the SATA controller is disabled in the =
 BIOS. I am also=20
 able to boot normally if I disable ACPI.

 I don't know what happens if there are no attached SATA drives but the =
 SATA controller
 is left enabled.=20

 It may or may not be helpful, but this was not an issue with =
 5.2.1-RELEASE.=20

 -Will=20