i386/71048: ASUS TUV4X hangs when SONY CRX140E attached

Fishbone fishbone at vigilanti.mine.nu
Fri Aug 27 13:20:24 PDT 2004

>Number:         71048
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ASUS TUV4X hangs when SONY CRX140E attached
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
    System hangs at the point that sony cdrw crx140e needs to be recognized by the kernel and configured, that is right after kernel recognizes first ide drive and then the atapi cdrom that is attached as a slave to the first channel and than the second ide drive gets recognized but when it comes to this particuliar sony cdrw kernel simply stays thar forever.I've also thried all other possible first/second master/slave configurations and it happens allways the same thing when sony needs to be successfully recognized.What is interesting is that the system can boot from install cd that is insterted in this drive but still hangs at the poing when he needs to configure the drive.
>How-To-Repeat:
    ASUS TUV4X(VIA VT82C686B South Bridge)(Bios rev 1005) + SONY CRX140E + 5.2.1 / 4.10 install cd.
>Fix:
    Besides unpluging the drive ,,,nothing else.