i386/70330: Re-Open 33262? - gdb does not handle pending signals properly when single stepping during a remote debug session.

Ernie Smallis esmallis at stbernard.com
Wed Aug 11 15:50:26 PDT 2004

>Number:         70330
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Re-Open 33262? - gdb does not handle pending signals properly when single stepping during a remote debug session.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
uname -snrmv

FreeBSD gromit.rapid.stbernard.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55 GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
I am seeing a similar problem in both 5.2.1 and 5.2 current.
I am receiving a SIGSEGV for gdb during a remote kernel debug session.

The messages are:

1. From infrun.c	Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
2. From remote.c	Can't send signals to this remote system.  SIGSEGV not sent.

#2 I can understand because the host gdb is bombing.

#1 is possibly bombing for a stack overflow?

When the host is signalled, process_event_stop_test( ) in infrun.c is called and I expect that either remote_wait( ) or remote_async_wait( ) are called as part of telling the world that gdb has crashed.

It also appears that handle_inferior_event( ) is where we pick this up.  I haven't debugged any further and would like to know your opinion and get some direction.
>How-To-Repeat:
If you use the remote gdb to debug a target kernel and you continually step and/or set a breakpoint and continue in any way, you will receive the above messages.

Thanks for any info./help you can provide.

Ernie ;-)

Ernest Smallis
Sr. Software Engineer
RAPID Development