Problems with IBM Netfinity 5000

Nikolaj Hansen anh at tiscali.dk
Sun Aug 24 11:42:03 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems getting freebsd 5.1 CURRENT to detect my network
interface in my IBM Netfinity 5000.

I have previously used Freebsd ver 4.x with success on this hw, but after an
update to 5.1 the FXP device can no longer detect my network card.

Instead the AMD device kicks in, and brings the system to a kernel panic
when the MII device driver chokes on the network device. The output from a
verbose boot is here (the relevant part):

pcn0; <AMD PCnet/PCI 10/100BaseTX> port 0x2040 mem 0xfebfdc00-0xfebfdc1f
irq 2 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcn0: Ethernet address: 00:06:29:39:61:39
miibus0: <MII bus> on pcn0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0: OUI 0x080017, model 0x0001, rev. 0
ukphy0:
ifmedia_set: no match for 0x0/0xfffffff
panic: ifmedia_set
cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 010000000
Uptime 1s
Automatic reeboot etc etc etc.

If I disable the AMD before a kernel compile all is well, but no networking.
I don't understand why the FXP device does not detect my card any more? Has
this code to the Intel network cards changed? I enclose a few links to a hw
desc. here:

Overview:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-49AQVD

Parts description:
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/search.do?free_text=part%20numbers&
qtxbrand=IBM+PC+Server&qtxfamily=Netfinity+5000&qtxnav=es&qtxdoctype=Parts%2
0information

If any of you are working on the code, I am able to help test on this hw (I
work as a software developer on a daily basis). Only the kernel code can be
a bit difficould to understand as an outsider, so any help would be much
appreciated.

Tnx.

With regards from someone missing his Freebsd server very much.

Nikolaj Hansen
9000  Aalborg
Danmark