freebsd-update "mirror" howto

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Wed Sep 12 14:43:10 UTC 2012

On 09/12/2012 08:42 AM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> It's not really a hubs thing, but anyway, I thought I'd share my few bits...
>
> For a long time, I pondered about upgrading my 300+ freebsd servers, and a
> few months back freebsd-update seemed like the way to go...
>
> Now, I did not want all those servers to hit the main freebsd-update
> servers, so I setup a nice local "mirror" using varnish.
>
> Varnish's configuration is there https://gist.github.com/2637602 and it
> would be even better if varnish could use SRV records to define it's
> backends by itself, but for now, there are a couple of shell that I have to
> run whenever I feel like it to update the list.

Recent  versions of varnish can use DNS servers for backends.  Even if
you cannot use SRV records, you can always setup a separate DNS server
with the "backend" addresses.  Some setups use a hack with load
balancers where you can use the SAME IP address for the varnish and the
"backend" server, making caching almost transparent.