Australian Subversion Repository Mirror

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Tue Aug 28 00:29:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, 22:17 +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> sorry no one seems to have replied; I'll try to break a tie of not
> having anything official but still say something to at least give
> hints.

Thank you, Bjoern, for breaking the silence.  I understand that the
hints are unofficial.

> no mirrors under *.freebsd.org not fully controlled by the project,
> seems to be a pretty good summary.

If it helps, we'll pull the svn.au.FreeBSD.org domain name *now* before
more people start using it.

> We'll not make anyone immediately stop, as we still heavily rely on
> these mirrors (at least the ~40-ish% not out of date) in the old world
> order.  Even afterwards, you'll still be able to happily provide mirrors,
> how could we stop you, but no "official" mirrors anymore.

I'm assuming this refers to the CVSup mirrors?  cvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
runs on the same machine.  It is the only local FreeBSD CVSup server
available to FreeBSD users in and around Australia and the South
Pacific: it serves between 3GB and 10GB per day, but I guess it won't
have to do that for much longer?

I look forward to seeing official policy announced soon and the new
infrastructure in place so that those of us who have been doing what we
could, and, in some cases, more than we could really afford, to help the
Project can get over it and move on.

--
John Marshall