torrent seeds

Carsten Otto otto at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Feb 21 09:26:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 02:17:19AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> Not sure if any of the ftp mirrors participate in torrent seeding?

Yes, ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de does (currently not for FreeBSD,
though).

Your ideas seem reasonable. However, I do not see the need for a
non-trivial BitTorrent discussion/setup.

FreeBSD roughly does 7 MBit/sec on average on our mirror. From the
releases of other projects I know that ISOs provided using BitTorrent
(in addition to HTTP/FTP!) can be seeded with 2 GBit/sec and more. I
honestly do not see that much need for FreeBSD, though (and as a result
I would not eagerly await the release of the .torrent files and update
my torrent seeder as soon as they are available).

Best regards,
Carsten Otto           otto at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/
RWTH Aachen            phone: +49 241 80-21211