New TLD mirror site

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Thu Jul 22 17:06:29 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Ken Smith wrote:

> I was given a heads-up that one of our current TLD mirror sites will
> be cutting back on their services so we should find a replacement.
>
> If you are currently not a TLD site (ftpX.freebsd.org, as opposed to
> ftpX.CC.freebsd.org) but feel your site would make a good TLD site
> please send a message to "mirror-admin at freebsd.org" to say you are
> interested.  It wouldn't hurt to say you're interested no matter
> where you are but the final decision will be based on:
>
> 	- Non-US based site slightly preferred, the one being replaced
> 	  is non-US and I am still interested in having the TLD sites
> 	  not be US-centric as they had been in the past.
>
> 	- Full mirror, should carry everything.
>
> 	- Good network connectivity on a global basis, relatively high
> 	  limit on bandwidth consumption and number of user connects.
>
> 	- Sync with one of the master sites at least twice a day.
>
> 	- Existing and well established official mirror sites preferred.
>
> The other times we have needed to do this I got several offers from
> excellent sites so the final decision was difficult and was more or
> less done by tossing coins... :-)  So, please do not be offended if
> you say you are interested but your site is not chosen - it should not
> be taken as any reflection on the quality of your site.
>
> We'll make the decision in about a week.  Thanks.

Well, I am sure ftp.gwdg.de is an "excellent site" within your stated
aspects, but from a "german" view, ftp.gwdg.de (Daniel Lang)
should qualify before ftp.gwdg.de because his server is running FreeBSD.
Iam running Linux "only" in the sense of some participants here.. ;-))

Anyways, ftp.gwdg.de is ftp2.de.freebsd.org.

Location: Germany

Mirror: full

Internet Connection: 1 GBit/sec

Limits: ftp 8192, http 2048, rsync 333
  These limits are merely to detect race conditions, not to limit
  anything; the real limit is I/O per seconds from the filesystem, but
  ftp.gwdg.de has 12 GB RAM and by this a huge buffer cache; the current
  total output rate is 50 TB/month.

sync: 2 times a day with ftp-master.cz.freebsd.org (which probably would
  qualify better, if interested).

Existing and well-established: yes. ;-))

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)