It's time for 5.1-R bits

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Jun 6 01:25:21 PDT 2003

Hi,

Here are my 2 (Euro) cents ...

Scott Long wrote:
 > i386 and pc98 bits for 5.1-R are ready to go online.  Alpha and sparc64
 > will happen over the next 2 days.  We are scheduled to make the
 > announcement and press release on Monday, June 9.  So, it's time to
 > decide on how to push out the bits to the mirrors without allowing
 > public access, how to quickly grant public access, and what, if
 > anything, should be done about BitTorrent.

I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

Actually I don't think "it's time".  It would have been
time for this a few weeks ago.  Now it's a little late.

 > 1.  Distributing to the mirrors.  The easiest approach seems to be
 > to use a permission setting of 0660 on the files and 0770 on the
 > directories.  However, this will exclude the second-tier mirrors
 > that mirror off of others using anonymous access.  What should be
 > done about this?

I'm using FTP to mirror from the master server (using omi),
so any permission modes are ignored.  But of course I can
change the umask of the mirror job, so everything ends up
0660 and 0770, respectively.

 > 2.  Granting anonymous access.  If I publish an exact time, will
 > everyone be able to tweak their mirrors by hand?

I can do that, yes.

 > If not, will
 > rsync'ing the permission change be fast enough and not eat up too
 > much bandwidth?

I'm not using rsync.  No way.

However, if it's really necessary, I could switch to cvsup
for mirroring.  Although I'd really prefer to stay with FTP.

 > 3.  BitTorrent.  I personally like this idea.  We only need a few
 > mirrors to act as seeds.  Once the release happens and people start
 > using these seeds, they'll become seeds themselves and the load will
 > quickly flatten out.  However, it's up to you guys.

I know zero about BitTorrent, and I think it's much too
late now in the release process for 5.1 to introduce it.
Especially because things tend to fail on the first try.
;-)

Regards
   Oliver