It's time for 5.1-R bits

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Thu Jun 5 11:08:45 PDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Scott Long wrote:

> i386 and pc98 bits for 5.1-R are ready to go online.  Alpha and sparc64
> will happen over the next 2 days.  We are scheduled to make the
> announcement and press release on Monday, June 9.  So, it's time to
> decide on how to push out the bits to the mirrors without allowing
> public access, how to quickly grant public access, and what, if
> anything, should be done about BitTorrent.

Isn't it a little bit late for that release?

> 1.  Distributing to the mirrors.  The easiest approach seems to be
> to use a permission setting of 0660 on the files and 0770 on the
> directories.  However, this will exclude the second-tier mirrors
> that mirror off of others using anonymous access.  What should be
> done about this?

Hmmm... running a second dedicated rsyncd on a different port, where only
mirrors have access to and which runs as a different user?

> 2.  Granting anonymous access.  If I publish an exact time, will
> everyone be able to tweak their mirrors by hand?  If not, will
> rsync'ing the permission change be fast enough and not eat up too
> much bandwidth?

I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universität Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/