Requirements Final Draft Attempt #2 :-/

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 8 17:22:57 PDT 2003

[CC trimmed]

On 2003.08.09 01:26:54 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > All of that might sound complicated, but it really isn't
>  > > that bad.  The collector can be a small shell script using
>  > > /usr/bin/fetch or automated ncftp.  The extension to
>  > > sysinstall shouldn't be too difficult either.  I would be
>  > > willing to work on the collector thing at least, and maybe
>  > > also on the sysinstall part (if time permits).
>  >
>  > Wouldn't this be much easier in perl?
>
> I do not like perl, but that task is indeed a bit heavy for
> a shell script.
>
> When I had a few minutes of free time, I coded a rough draft
> of such a script.  I took the liberty to write it in Python.

This is really cool!

I think it would be very useful to have something like this available,
and updated regularly.

> It doesn't do any DNS zone transfers, so it is not affected
> by reluctant DNS servers.  Instead, the list of CC subdomains
> is hardcoded.  For each subdomain, it starts at ftp.$DOMAIN,
> ftp1.$DOMAIN and increases the number until a host cannot be
> resolved.  That seems to be a better approach than relying
> on zone transfers.

One little problem is when a number is skipped.  E.g. your script
doesn't pick up ftp3.dk.freebsd.org, since there is no ftp2.  I don't
know if there are any other special cases like this, but it's not that
important right now.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team