Dell SAS6IR is it worth the effort to convert to IT

Lee Brown leeb at ratnaling.org
Thu Sep 13 15:58:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up an old PowerEdge R410 which has, I
believe, the LSI Logic AS1068, using the mpt driver.

I'm not interested in running it as a hardware RAID but rather a
geli(authentication only)+gmirror+gjournal.

It seems like flashing it requires booting into dos, which frankly I can't
be bothered with.  mptutil doesn't appear to have that capability.

Are there any major downsides to running it in IR mode as two disks?
There's no option to turn off the write-cache, but being battery backed the
only danger I see with that is if the machine is powered with pending
writes on the card and the battery gives out before power is restored.

The use case is routing/snort IPS with minimal logging, so disk performance
isn't critical.  It will be the redundant router so mostly doing nothing
except the little work OSPF needs.

Thanks in advance for any comments -- lee