Fwd: Re: When is sataIII actually sataIII?

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 13:36:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, at 8:45 AM, spamless at mail-on.us wrote:
> I have another Sata 3 drive on the second Sata 3 port, that FreeBSD
> actually treats as what it is:
> ada1 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
> ada1: <ST3000DM001-1CH166 CC47> ACS-2 ATA SATA 3.x device
> ada1: Serial Number W1F55VT9
> ada1: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
> ada1: Command Queueing enabled
> ada1: 2861588MB (5860533168 512 byte sectors)
> ada1: quirks=0x1<4K>
>
> note the "quirks" - is that good, or bad?

Forgot to mention (and then the power went off) - the quirks mechanism
is to allow work-arounds for flawed implementations of protocols from
specific devices. For example, if a particular drive always returns the
same serial number to satisfy the protocol, it's a quirk and the driver
won't make use of the query serial number command for that type of
drive.

Regards, Frank.