When is sataIII actually sataIII?

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 00:49:04 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-01 16:24, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, at 8:45 AM, spamless at mail-on.us wrote:
>
>> I have another Sata 3 drive on the second Sata 3 port, that FreeBSD
>> actually treats as what it is:
>> ada1 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
>> ada1: <ST3000DM001-1CH166 CC47> ACS-2 ATA SATA 3.x device
>> ada1: Serial Number W1F55VT9
>> ada1: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
>> ada1: Command Queueing enabled
>> ada1: 2861588MB (5860533168 512 byte sectors)
>> ada1: quirks=0x1<4K>
>>
>> note the "quirks" - is that good, or bad?
>>
>> In the end, it appears that I have to purchase a slower rated (Sata 3)
>> drive
>> to get FreeBSD to treat it as a Sata 3 drive? It makes no sense to me.
>> Which
>> is why I came here; in hopes of finding out *why* it appears as it
>> does.
>> :)
>>
>> Thanks again, Frank!
>>
>> Oh! In case it matters; this is on 12 (CURRENT)
>>
>> --
>> Chris out...

> A full dmesg would be useful.  A dmesg from a verbose boot even more
> useful.
> As well as the make and model of the motherboard.
>
> The most common problem is the controller the drive is plugged into
> isn't actually capable of SATA 3.

Also, I guess you know that 12-CURRENT is the riskiest one to be testing
on. You didn't mention that before :-)

Boot from an 11.2-RELEASE CD and see what it has to say.

I take what people say about computing equipment and its performance
with a pinch of salt. would be surprised that WDs blurb says it's cheap
blue series is faster than the enterprise versions, if anything
manufacturers said surprised me any more. Gotta link?

Regards, Frank.