When is sataIII actually sataIII?

Frank Leonhardt (M) frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 11:18:43 UTC 2018

On 1 November 2018 05:14:35 GMT+00:00, spamless at mail-on.us wrote:
>Hi all,
>I picked out, and put together some hardware for a new FreeBSD
>powered box. I chose a WD blue drive I knew was pretty zippy.
>But I was quite disappointed to discover that FreeBSD wouldn't
>support it @6Gb.
>The following output from dmesg(8):
>GEOM: new disk ada0
>ada0: <WDC WD10EZEX-75WN4A0 01.01A01> ACS-3 ATA SATA 3.x device
>ada0: Serial Number WD-WCC6Y3CJCTDC
>ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
>ada0: Command Queueing enabled
>ada0: 953869MB (1953525168 512 byte sectors)
>
>My hardware supports it; both drive, and controller. Yet for
>some reason FreeBSD will only *acknowledge* the capabilities.
>Do I need to impose some quirk, or something.
>
>Thanks!

That is saying it will do transfers at 300 Megabytes/second on the interface. You'll be lucky to get that from a WD desktop drive due to mechanical limitations. WD blues at 1Tb tend to do 125-150MBps tops, and the range released a couple of years back (2015?) seem slower than the previous generation, although the spindle speeds vary.

6G vs. 3G is only interesting talking to silicone drives or a SATA expander.

But an interesting question - why does it say SATA2 instead of SATA3?