Problem booting 10.4 Lenovo SR630 in Legacy Mode

andrew klassen aptklassen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 19:12:20 UTC 2018

I didn't see anything like this in the mailing list so sorry if this is a duplicate.
I have a Lenovo SR630 system and I am trying to install a custom 10.4 basedload from DVD which is currently only available in legacy boot mode. I downloaded and burned the official FreeBSD 10.4 dvd1 and 10.4 uefi dvd1 loadsto ensure it wasn't an issue with the custom load.
I can boot the system with official uefi 10.4 iso and get in the shell. Seems to work fine.
I change the boot mode to legacy and try to boot using the official 10.4 dvd and it gets stuck just like the custom load. The boot makes it past the count down of the splash screen and the /boot/kernel/kernel text/data/syms messages.
But then hangs shortly after "Booting..." is displayed. The spin line only moves a few times before hanging. I let it sit for a long time but the dvd drive does not light after this happens and the spin line remains frozen.
The system is using the on-board video card. There is no external video card.I tried the rear and front vga display ports but there is no difference.
I looked at the system event logs from the configuration utility but there is nothingnote worthy.
Before giving up, I am hoping there is some BIOS setting I can modify.
Thanks for any help.