About support if Dell precison M4700

Jan Bramkamp crest at rlwinm.de
Wed Jan 4 12:45:12 UTC 2017

On 28/12/2016 20:37, Orka Edison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1_) my wifi cars not reconized, can i remplace it by any else laptop card ?

I have a Dell M4800 and unlike IBM/Lenovo they didn't lock down the
mini-PCIe slots to whitelisted cards. I replaced the Intel card with an
old Atheros 801.11n card. If you're running FreeBSD 11 and the M4700
contains an Intel card try the new iwm(4) driver. It isn't part of the
GENERIC kernel and should support recent Intel wireless cards.

> 2_) my NVIDIA quadro K4000M are not reconized, there are an free driver or need use NVIDIA proprietary driver ?
> -
> How can i turn off my Intel video card under CPU ( i7 )

It depends. The Intel GPU is completly disabled in my M4800 because the
Intel GPU can't drive the 3200x1800 30Bit display. Your Intel CPU
contains a GPU, but there is more involved in a modern laptop with an
additional dedicated GPU.

The simplest case is that the dedicated GPU is directly connected to the
display and external video connectors. In this case you just need a
driver for your GPU. Try the x11/nvidia-driver-340 first because the
latest version lacks working VSYNC (you can thank the push to KMS-only
and Linux GPL only APIs for this). If the GPU isn't supported by the
older driver install the latest x11/nvidia-driver. Use nvidia-xconfig to
generate a minimal xorg.conf.

If your hardware supports Nvidia Optimus things get more complicated.
Nvidia Optimus is available with and without multiplexers. If there is a
multiplexer there is a good chance that you can use the BIOS/UEFI oder
ACPI calls to route the video outputs to the dedicated GPU or you can
use the slower integrated GPU and save some power.

If you got the latest, cheapest and worst design there are no video
multiplexers and the dedicated GPU has to pipe its video output through
the integrated GPU. Maybe VirtualGL can help you in this case.

> 3_) I have a SIM slot, can i use it to connect my laptop on internet ? And how can i do ?
>
> And the end : how can i use an SD card, if the slot reconized, for build a security authentication system for my machine and all my internet account ?

Put a supported modem card in the right mini-PCIe slot and send some
magic AT commands to it (good luck finding the right datasheet). There
are two ways to configure most cards. The simpler one is to unlock them
and use them as USB ethernet NICs. In that case they will run their own
DHCP server and you just have to start a DHCP client on the ue0
interface. The more flexible setup is to use them as serial lines with
net/mpd5.