simple freebsd router for home use

Frank Leonhardt freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 14:32:51 UTC 2016

On 18/11/2016 21:45, Martin Cermak wrote:
> I think of creating a simple router for home use with
> FreeBSD. Just for fun.  I imagine a single printed circuit board
> with passive cooling, with 3+ 100+ Mbit/s ethernet ports.
I used a Raspberry Pi (just for fun) doing this a few years ago. It only
has one built-in Ethernet port, but I think the new ones also come with
wireless Ethernet too. I can't remember whether I got a USB Ethernet
adapter working with it, or whether I used an external switch and
single-handed routing.

Since then, ARM support for FreeBSD has gone mainstream(-ish).

FreeBSD can route very happily. In reality I have on-site servers doing
the routing so have no need for a separate box. Somewhat more reliable
IME than the plastic box type, and you can configure them hot-standby
with a simple script. Have cross-over switches to the outside world and
when one server dies the other turns on. Now THAT'S fun!

Regards, Frank.