Zoned Commands ZBC/ZAC, Shingled SMR drives, ZFS

Shehbaz Jaffer shehbazjaffer007 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:47:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I was wondering what cost advantage do SMR drive provide as compared to
normal CMR drive?

8TB SMR drive - $ 260
3TB CMR (Conventional Magnetic Recording drive) - $ 105

Is the 8TB SMR drive that you mentioned in another post on this mailing
list host or drive managed? I was curious to know why freeBSD community
/others should invest into supporting SMR drive? Is the price predicted to
go down further in the future?
Is there any other advantage that SMR drive provide that CMR drives dont?

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 2:49 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a performance review of the ST8000AS0002 non-SED
> "drive managed" model (caveat your actual expected usage).
> http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb
> You can also find these drives inside the STDT8000100 external
> USB unit for a bit more at $300.

Shehbaz Jaffer
MTS | Advanced Technology Group |  NetApp