L2 cache errors???

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Aug 1 02:03:43 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:31:53 +0200
Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:

> On 31/07/2015 07:22, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:45:03 +0200
> > Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> On 28/07/2015 21:04, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> >>
> >> Offlining CPus, cool.
> >
> > and bringing them back online when the problem is fixed. The
> > hardware there supports that things get changed while the system is
> > running. A PC costs normally less than the extra hardware required
> > to do this.
>
> Yes, I can imagine things being expensive.
>
> Probably like high-end routers... There you can swap also just about
> anything.. Expensive got a complete new meaning when I saw a set of 3
> core routers being delivered at a friends ISP with a pricetag >
> 1.000.000 euros... Fortunately it was list price, but even still: A
> lot of money.

yes, this are common price tags in this area.

> Although I've grown to look at HA as:
> 	don't put it all in one (expensive) box,
> 	but get more (cheaper) boxes,
> But I guess there are places where this doesn't work.

It is also a matter of effort. The moment the application software has
to be adapted, it might be pointless to do it on cheap machines. Google
& Co. is a typical case for cheap hardware. It does not matter for the
normal user if things get even lost or delayed. It is a different story
for banks, manufacturing or people like UPS.

Erich