FreeBSD on HP DL585 G2 or IBM X3755

Frank Leonhardt freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 00:44:41 UTC 2013

Does anyone know what my chances are of getting FreeBSD running on
either of these? In particular, have you got it working?

The HP DL582 has a weird Ethernet which wasn't supported beyond 7.2 (I
believe), but may be back on in 9.1 (or I may be able to port the
driver). The IBM X3755 is completely unknown, but looks promising.

In case anyone's wondering, both of these high-end servers are now
available cheap as I don't think they're supported by current versions
of VM Ware or Windoze "Server". I want one because they support lots of
RAM and I need all I can get to do something with Open Streetmap. If I
can get one disk and the LAN working I can manage with serious storage
elsewhere on the network (I can't afford SCSI disks for this project
anyway!)