FreeBSD and controlling an alarm via relay

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Mon Jul 18 07:27:33 UTC 2011

Hello again, It worked!
Just to recap on the hardware used and the architecture of the whole setup:

Camera ( simple analog wired (coaxial cable)) is sending video to Kodicom KMC-4400R video card
the video is analyzed via Zoneminder, and a separate deamon in perl polls the shared memory
with zoneminder to check for alarm/alert caused by motion detection.
Upon motion detection, the daemon drives this USB relay board:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-8-Channel-Relay-Board-RS232-Serial-controlled-/280591766649?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1423565781848187460
(FTDI based), using simple echo commands like:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
echo -e "\xFF\x01\x01" > /dev/cuaU0
sleep 1
echo -e "\xFF\x01\x00" > /dev/cuaU0
However, the above when tested with Ubuntu 11, didnt work out of the box until i set baudrate explicitly to 9600.
In FreeBSD worked at once, just by running the above script.
Now, two of the relay board NC outputs (circuits) are connected to the two inputs (loops) in
http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/Universal-transmitter-mct-100
(the two circuits are defined as being "EOL" type, not NC)
which in turn talks to
http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/PowerMaxPlus

I have two cameras, and i use them as two separate zones. I think it works good,
and at least for interior spaces, i think motion detection via video is more reliable
than IR detectors, because in the summer IR struggle to detect motion when
ambient temperature is close to the human temperature.
(In exterior  spaces, video motion detection is problematic due to large birds, insects, etc,
while exterior IR motion detection is by default unreliable)

Thank you all!

Στις Wednesday 06 July 2011 15:40:08 ο/η Ian Smith έγραψε:

--
Achilleas Mantzios