FreeBSD 8 on SR1630HGP
mij at sshguard.net
Mon Sep 27 16:21:34 UTC 2010
I bought two SR1630HGP systems from Intel recently. Although I couldn't find information
beforehand on FreeBSD compatibility with that hardware, FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE appears
to run fine on them, and essentially all features is supported (see below).
I took some time to figure out and configure all the hardware available onboard. Here I'm
posting the resulting kernel profile. This is for FreeBSD8 amd64.
The kernel config embeds all fundamental drivers, so they must not be kldloaded as modules.
Examples in: ada, hw watchdog, ipmi.
Examples out: zfs, lagg.
- the NICs are detected in inverted order:
- NIC2 on chassis = em0
- NIC1 on chassis = em1
- hot plugging is supported ("ada")
- IPMI is supported. See sysutils/ipmitool
- hardware watchdog is supported: watchdogd will automatically use the hardware timer
- Frequency Scaling is included. Set powerd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and save the planet (90W -> 1W)
- support for device POLLING is included, enable at convenience (ifconfig)
- HZ is set to 2000 to accommodate firewalling/traffic shaping while being fairly light on the system
More information about the freebsd-hardware