ttyu1 stuck at 115200

Charles Owens cowens at greatbaysoftware.com
Mon Mar 15 22:56:20 UTC 2010

Hello,

Working with pretty vanilla hardware running 8.0-RELEASE-p2, I find that
ttyu0 works just fine as a serial console, but ttyu1 wants to default to
115200 baud (ttyu0 defaults to 9600 as expected).  I'm used having
details like baud-rate handled by argument given to getty via the
respective line in /etc/ttys... but that doesn't seem to be the behavior
I'm seeing.   I couldn't get a login prompt at 9600 baud until I added
the following line to /boot/device.hints and rebooted:

    hint.uart.1.baud="9600"

Is this supposed to be how this is done now, or is there something else
going on here?  Any thoughts as to why the two ports behave differently?

This is a Xeon-based system with the Intel S5000PAL motherboard...
running GENERIC kernel.  Here are related boot messages (with
device.hints tuning in place):

uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
uart0: [FILTER]
uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on acpi0
uart1: [FILTER]
uart1: console (9600,n,8,1)

Thanks very much,

Charles