Sata HD not detected on SiS 180/181 raid controller

Israel Miranda programadorlinux at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:46:55 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.
I use FreeBSD 7.1 i386 on a Intel D865PERL mobo with a SATA Segate HD 400gb.
I am about to change my motherboard because I have an ASUS P4S800D which is
a little bit better because it supports RAID on the SIS 180 controller. I
plan to use two hard drives in RAID-0 in the near future.

So I just removed the hard drive and put it on the other computer, and even
though the booting process starts, later it can't mount the filesystem,
because it doesn't find the device. So I booted from the FreeBSD 7.0 install
disc to see if the generic kernel could detect the SATA disk but no luck.

So I researched on the net, and I came up with many people having these
problems.
Namely:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=87585&cat=
this patch has already been merged long time ago, and I checked
/usr/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c in line 5406, the code is there, so what
is wrong ? Maybe a new problem ?

Hopefully I am not the only one with this problem:
But Yuri doesn't say if he's had success or not, no updates.
Yuri posted a dmesg here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/038203.html<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038203.html>
But seems like there was no response.

Anyone who can help ?
Any direction is appreciated!!!

I made a post on freebsd forums about this too:

Filosofia de software livre:

Informação é de graça
pessoas não são
contribuidores não tem preço.