Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Drive problem

not avail bosbsd at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:23:00 PST 2009

Hello FreeBSD Hardware,

I have a dell studio hybrid that I've been trying to set up for someone with FBSD 7.1.

The Problem:

The install disk would hang during a probe of the CD/DVD drive with that repeated
message about ' x seconds waiting for xpt_config,' and would have to be powered off
manually.

The Solution:

Installing FBSD 7.1 to a usb flash drive, and recompiling the kernel without the ATAPI line
got the flash drive system fully functional.

What I'm Hoping For:

To understand the problem more clearly. Ideally I'd like to help to debug the problem
between the freebsd component and this particular drive. I know access to hardware
can be a limitation for project developers, but I'm willing to conduct any tests, and
provide any information I can. I hate to see something as critical for installation as a
CD drive failing for new hardware.

The problem CD/DVD drive:

Sony Optiarc DVDRW / BDROM BC-5600S 104B

(no firmware updates available as of today at sony's website.)

Error Codes:

The error code that would get printed twice was asc=0x64 ascq=0x00.