Suggestion for "moderation"

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Sun Feb 1 05:01:09 PST 2009

Hi,
Reference:

Jonas Lund wrote:
> I've had enough of spam and crackpot-newsletters now. And i'm on the
> verge of unsubscribing as i guess instituting full moderation wouldn't
> be very practical (i'm sure most people don't get paid for sitting
> here)
>
> Altho just leaving and complaining won't help anybody (and i do love freebsd).
>
> So....
> Isn't there some kind of auto-moderation system that could be placed
> in (Plugin or whatever)? Like delaying the mails for an hour for all
> newly subscribed users (so kicking people off the list will force them
> to re-list) and then just sending the mail in advance to "moderators"

NO. No human censors Please,
	Latin approx: Quis Custodes Custodiensis.
	English: Who guards us from the guardians
	"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"
	(I have observed such corruption on a non BSD list)

> that would have simple link that would remove the mail from the queue.
> (Maybe one hit on the link would delay the mail futher and several
> clicks within the timespan would kill it).
>
> This way message will get through by default but annoying stuff
> wouldn't affect everybody.
>
> Just another 2C

Best thing is to first look at which tools & config freebsd.org
currently use for their lists.  Then look at what other full automatic
anti spam tools are ready & available to integrate.  ie this whol
topic does not belong on hardware@, its a generic background to all lists,
so should be discussed with the FreeBSD postmaster team.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com