FreeBSD doesn't boot on Dell Studio Hybrid desktop

Thomas Schlesinger schlesinger at netcologne.de
Wed Sep 17 20:06:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm not able to boot FreeBSD on my new Dell Studio Hybrid desktop (140g).

I've tried with several FreeBSD-Versions (6.x, 7.0, 8.0-CURRENT, 32 and 64
bit), but I'm unable to get a login.

This happens, when I try it with 8.0-CURRENT, built for AMD64:

Boot option 1 (default):
Timecounter tick every 1.000msec
ad4: ...<Harddisk type>
acd0: ...<CD/DVD drive type>
"run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config"

Boot option 2 (with ACPI disabled):
Kernel panic/crash while booting, KDB starts, error message about
/usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c:372

Boot option 3 (safe mode):
like boot option 2

Boot option 4 (single user):
like boot option 1

Boot option 5 (verbose logging):
last message: ata4: "identify ch->device=00000000", then
"run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config"

I've put an "lspci -v" and an "lsusb -v" output from this machine, generated
with Linux, which works flawlessly, here:
http://www.filedropper.com/dellstudiohybrid .

Does anybody have an idea how I can get FreeBSD to work on this machine?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas