Issue with 7.0-RELEASE and Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 1 11:14:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 01:05:55PM +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> Pyun YongHyeon skrev:
>
>>  > >  > Just for the sake of it, I did an upgrade to 7.0-STABLE on 2008-08-20.
>>  > >  > That killed my network card RTL8111B.
>>  > >  > > Would you post the output of dmesg and "ifconfig re0"?
>>  >  > Yes. But I reverted back to 7.0-RELEASE, so dmesg and ifconfig is
>> for
>>  > that setup.
>>  >

>> Ok, would you let me know what functionality of re(4) was broken in
>> 7-stable? Just killed one's network is not enough to diagnose the
>> problem. Did you ever tried to disable checksum offload on
>> 7-stable? (i.e. ifconfig re0 -txcsum -rxcsum)
>
> I didn't try fiddling with ifconfig.
> Ping and traceroute didn't work. Ping took anywere from 5 to 30 minutes
> to get a reply.

Which is interesting, because I interpreted "that killed my network
card" to mean "the re(4) code in RELENG_7 as of 2008/08/20 caused my
network card to explode/die/burst into flames".

Please try to be a little more precise when describing what problems
you're having with a driver or hardware.  Your above explanation ("ping
and traceroute didn't work") is also too terse.  bernt_hansson -vvv.
:-)