Areca vs. ZFS performance testing.

Simun Mikecin numisemis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 02:11:07 PDT 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> The tuning variables I advocate for a system with 2GB of RAM or more,
> on RELENG_7, are:
> vm.kmem_size="1536M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="1536M"

There is no point in setting vm.kmem_size_max. Setting vm.kmem_size is enough. vm.kmem_size_max is used for auto-tuning of kmem size which is in this case actually overriden by manually setting vm.kmem_size.

> vfs.zfs.arc_min="16M"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="64M"
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
> You can gradually increase arc_min and arc_max by ~16MB increments as
> you see fit; you should see general performance improvements as they
> get larger (more data being kept in the ARC), but don't get too crazy.
> I've tuned arc_max up to 128MB before with success, but I don't want
> to try anything larger without decreasing kmem_size_*.

Can you explain why would you have to decrease kmem_size to use larger ARC?
AFAIK it should be contrary to what you are saying: when you use larger kmem_size you can also use larger arc_max.

My suggestion if you are using kmem_size of 1536M would be to not tune arc_min and arc_max if your system isn't panicing. If it does you should try decreasing arc_max (from it's default value) until it doesn't.