Dell PowerEdge 840 - keeps rebooting

Regis regis505 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:17:23 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

Are there any indications that the Dell PowerEdge 840 is not supported by
FreeBSD? My new system keeps rebooting (5 times last night) without
any logs, console errors or kernel dump. I would be interested to know
whether somebody else uses this machine.

I currently have 7.0 PRERELEASE installed from last week sources.
I tried to install 6.3-RELEASE but the computer rebooted while the
data were copied from the CD to the hard disk.

The computer has 2 Broadcom NICs and 3 SATA II disks, no RAID.
It sometimes reboots even in Single User Mode when idle.
I recompiled the kernel this morning without SMP support but no luck.
I am not sure anymore whether this is a hardware or a software issue.
Any suggestions on a bootable CD diagnostic tool that I could
run outside FreeBSD would be very welcome.

Regis

P.S. I also posted this message on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc