802.11n PCI card: what should I buy?

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sat Feb 9 22:34:19 UTC 2008

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-hardware.
>
>  Now my host-based AP uses D-Ling DWL-520G (Atheros 5212 chipset).
>  After buying new notebook with 802.11g support, I want to upgrade my
> server to 802.11n too.
>  Which cards (and chipsets) are supported in 7.0-RELEASE natively,
> without NDIS wrapper?
>  I've read HARDWARE.TXT from last RC, but didn't found any 802.11n
> devices in it.
>  I need 802.11n & Software/Host-based AP support in one PCI (not
> PC-Card, PCI-E or Express Card) device. Is it possible?

None right now.  Intel won't license their linux code so we can make a
usable driver.  I'm not aware of any Marvell-based cards in the retail
channels (I have a working driver for their hardware).  Atheros is being
totally uncooperative in general.  Broadcom and Ralink have not shown
any interest in the freebsd community (despite being the only system
that has working 11n support).

    Sam