Support of VIA Apollo Pro in 6.x is completely broken?

Rashid N. Achilov achilov-rn at askd.ru
Sun Oct 21 21:07:25 PDT 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Hmm interesting -  I  couldn't actually find any specs for a G*B*-6VA+
> (only a GA-6VA+)... is it a VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset with slot-1
> P-II/III?
Sorry, of course GA-6VA+. It is VIA Apollo Pro with Socket 370. Description at
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1442

> If so I've run 6.x (a while ago so probably 6.0 or 6.1) on a Tyan
> Trinity 400 (same chipset and cpu support)... and I used a 3Com
> office-connect ethernet (xl based) card....without any issues. Maybe see
> if Gigabyte have a more recent BIOS update for the board and update one
> of them and re-test!
Newest BIOS for this mb is F8. These boxes already has F8. Some (at least
three) boxes has completely similar troubles - so I think, it in chipset
support. 4.5 has not ANY these troubles.

> On the ATA cable front, assuming the chipset is as I guessed, the ATA
> controller is ATA-66 capable, so yeah, best to use an 80-wire cable and
> get *some* IO speed out of these old things!

Of course, best to use speedup. But, wheh I do not use, I shoud receive
downgraded ,but working system, not false CRC ERROR!
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://www.askd.ru/~shelton