hardware/driver incompatibility ?

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Mon Jul 23 13:58:59 UTC 2007

Hello,

On 27 juin 07, at 21:45, Josh Tolbert wrote:

>> Two weeks ago, I've added a DLink DWL-G520 Wifi PCI card (ath
>> chipset), and turned this FreeBSD box into a wifi access point. Then,
>> the PC started to crash from time to time, always when I'm not at
>> home.
>> Today, I've had the 2nd crash.
>> ../..
>> ad4: FAILURE - device detached
>> subdisk4: detached

> I've had a few machines that install fine but won't reboot or reboot
> sporadically, dying in the drive mount stuff, and every time it's
> been fixed
> by disabling ACPI in the BIOS and not loading the ACPI kernel
> module. You
> might give this a try.

I'm coming back with a status update. I've been away for 3 weeks, and
before leaving I've removed the Wifi PCI card, and removed wifi
related settings in rc.conf and loader.conf.
So, the box is up and running for almost 4 weeks, no problem at all,
everything is running fine. I believe there might be an issue in the
interaction between ath and ACPI, but I don't know how to be sure of
that without putting my system at risk.

here is my rc.conf line for setting ath0 up :

ifconfig_ath0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid foobar
media auto mediaopt hostap mode 11g pureg up"

Is there, by any chance, an option that would prevent interaction
between ACPI and ath, so that the box would not crash ?

Other question : what will I lose if I disable ACPI ? (the box spors
two dual core Xeon LV sossaman).

thanks,
patpro