hardware/driver incompatibility ?

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Thu Jul 5 05:23:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:43:16 -0700
Paul Saab <ps at freebsd.org> wrote:
> The WD5000YS issues are due to a firmware bug
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=15&swid=57

No RAID, bad sectors.
BTW, RAID would have been of little help here, as both of the disks
failed at about the same timeframe. Even the "bad" LBAs were close :)
[and no, I don't have a PSU|heat|vibration|etc problem: other 3 HDDs
(Seagates and Fujitsu) hooked up to the same machine work perfectly
well to this day]. Read recent reviews/comments.

> > Western Digital harddisks are notoriously unreliable (I just had 2
> > WD5000YS fail recently, at about the same time; one had ~200 hrs on
> > it, the other ~1700h), especially the YS models. Also, WDC won't
> > replace them... Beware.
> >
> > [SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2