Infiniband or myrinet options?

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Tue Jul 3 20:17:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:04:28PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 12:48:15PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > Anyone have a pointer to wither infiniband or myrinet
> > networking solutions for FreeBSD?  Google hasn't been
> > too helpful with an infiniband search.
>
> Given the current state of drivers, Myrinet is probably your practical
> choice.  We have drivers in the tree for Myrinet nices in 10GbE mode and
> Myricom has FreeBSD drivers for Myrinet mode.  There exist Infiniband
> stacks for FreeBSD, but I don't know of any that are generally
> available.

Thanks Brooks,

I forgot to mention that my motherboards are Tyan s2881, which
only have PCI-X slots.  The mxge driver is for a PCI-E nic.

Myricom's M3F-PCIXF-2 NIC is a myrinet card that is compatiable
with my motherboards, but the available software is against
FreeBSD 5.x.

At the moment, my cluster uses the builtin broadcom chips (bge0)
and ia SMC 8624T GigE switch.  I found a post by you that was not
too complementary to this switch.

One of our MPI apps is communications bound, so I was hoping to
upgrade the network.

--
Steve