Single Core2Duo Quadcore vs. two dualcore Xeon?

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Thu Aug 2 21:08:19 UTC 2007

Hello

I'm in the process of purchasing a new server. I'm currently looking
at two Supermicro based options, one with a Core 2 Duo Q6600 Quadcore
2.4GHz 2x4MB (on a PDSMi+ board) , and another with two Xeon 5110
dualcore 1.6GHz 4MB (on a X7DVL-i board).

Both configurations would have 4GB (2x2Gb) memory (to begin with, 4
slots on the boards so max 8GB), and I'm thinking about 4x 500GB
disks in a raid10 config on a 3Ware 9550SX.

What my question is, from the performance point of view, what would
be best? Two dualcores or a single quadcore? I'm thinking about
memory bandwidth and such... Bus bandwitdh (to ethernet and disks)...
Looking from the upgrade point of view I guess two dualcores can be
replaced with two quadcores, but on the other hand, if that will be
necessary  then another box is probably a better solution...

Is there any known problems with FreeBSD and these stuff? From what
I've understood Supermicro is pretty FreeBSD-friendly and should work
fine...

The box will be used mainly with a jail running MySQL and Apache 2,
and a number of other jails which will take fare less power... So
mainly mysql & apache.

If someone have any clues about which system performs best, or any
other input, everything is appreciated!

Thanks

--
Johan Ström