SMP crashes / reboots 5.4 with CPanel

Robin Vley viper at fx-services.com
Thu Apr 5 20:50:14 UTC 2007

Simon wrote:

Simon,

> Before looking at anything you need to upgrade to RELENG_6_2, 6.0-R is
> not enough, I personally had panics even under 6.1-R. Second, disable

OK. Will do.

> HT, it's useless and might cause more problems than good. Also, disable

The backup machine (that's going to 6.2 now) is dual Athlon MP. No HT
there. WIth the Xeons I've tried to disable it via sysctl, but not via
the BIOS. Will try that tomorrow.

> any idle controls, they are unnecessary in sever environment -- you do not

True. I read some things about them and tried both enabled and disabled.
No difference in my problem.

> want your machine's CPU or harddrive off for immediate response to
> client requests. Are you trying to save on power?

Not at all. I'm trying to fix a problem that's been bugging me on
different platforms with different versions for years now. :) ANY
setting will do for me, as long as the thing stops rebooting itself.

--
Robin Vley
F/X Services Managed Hosting