3com 3c905c

Kelly, Brian bkelly at uwsp.edu
Mon Mar 28 20:08:30 PST 2005

I have an 3com 3c905C card which supports wake on lan. This system has all the right pieces in
place i.e. PCI 2.2, Bios has wake on PME enable, etc. I've used these cards for years at work
and have tested this system by throwing in M$ XP (no flames please) and sending it a WOL
Packet waking the system up with success.
However, in my dealings with FreeBSD 5.3. I've have a system with a live nic (flashing lights)
but no response to the wol Magic Packet.
After doing a little research I found that WOL via a Magic Packet requires the nic driver to
"program the PowerMgmtEvent register to enable the desired wake up event" during a power down.
Not being a C programmer I'm lost in the if_xl.c source.
I suspect one of two problems. Either the xl driver doesn't support the wol options or
something is amiss during the shutdown process and ACPI is to blame. If anyone could offer
some advice on how to troubleshoot this issue I would appreciate it.