Netgear WG311T wlan card with Atheros chipset doesnt work

Lukas Razik lukas at razik.de
Wed Mar 9 10:00:57 PST 2005

> > Hi!!!
> >
> > I've bought a Netgear WG311T wlan card with an Atheros chipset (not that one with Texas Instruments chipset) _especially_ for my VIA EPIA VE5000 baord which works very good with 5.3-RELEASE after having many problems with prism54 cards and FreeBSD on other systems in the past...
> >
> > But after loading the if_ath kernel module nothing happens...
> > There's no new device and 'pciconf -lv' only lists that:
> > none1 at pci0:20:0:	class=0x820000 card=0xcd001385 chip=0x8013168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> >                                 vendor   = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
> >
> > I thought that it _must_ work because under Windows SiSoft Sandra listed that it has an Atheros AR5212 chip...
> > Now I've looked at the card and it's an AR5213A.
> >
> > Is it possible to get it work under FreeBSD? Maybe CURRENT???
>
> With possiable exception of the pre-N products, all the Atheros chipsets
> should work under CURRENT.
>
> -- Brooks

OK. Thanks for this answere!!!
Because I don't want to change immediately to CURRENT I did a cvsup to RELENG_5_3 and then the ath driver recognized the Netgear WG311T but I've got an error (from ath_hal). (If someone wants to know the output, please ask.)

Another thing I wanted to try is an Allnet 0281 wlan card with this driver:
http://green.homeunix.org/~green/prism54-driver/pff/
which works good on another CURRENT system and a prism54 card (I thought the Allnet 0281 has a prism chipset like the Allnet 0271)...

But then the ath driver recognized the Allnet 0281 (which is not listed in the ath manpage) because it also has an Atheros AR5213 chip:
ath0 at pci0:20:0: class=0x020000 card=0x3ab01186 chip=0x0013168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device   = 'AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

and now it works fine!!! :-)))
Maybe these informations are useful for people who want to buy a new one...

Lukas