Slow Performance: Intel SRC16 RAID controller (amr driver)

Samuel Clements sclements at linkline.com
Tue Jun 28 21:20:04 GMT 2005

SharkTECH Internet Services wrote:
> Hello,
Hi!

> I'm e-mailing you as a last ditch of effort to resolve this problem which really have left us hopeless. We have recently acquired a high-end server and have been beta testing it to bring it to production, but we are experiencing SERIOUS problems with the performance of the raid controller read/write performance which we are coming to you hoping for a resolution.
>
> System Specs:
> 2 x AMD Opteron 244
> 2GB DDR-3200 ECC REG RAM
> Tyan S2882 Board (most recent bios release)
> Intel SRCS16 Raid Controller (Most recent bios release)
> 5 x 200GB 7.2KRPM WD 8MBuffer HDD's
> Intel Pro/1000 SC Fiber
>
> O/S:
> FreeBSD 5.4 RELEASE (amd64)

Technically not an Intel supported configuration (in an non 'qualified'
Intel board), but technically FreeBSD isn't supported either! Don't you
just love the pat answers from them sometimes? ;)

Do you have the optional battery backup unit installed on the RAID
controller? I know that you cannot enable write caching without it. This
should be the same for the LSI and Dell implementations of the same card...
   -Sam