RAID Cards

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Mon Jun 27 12:21:41 GMT 2005

>I am looking to build a new file server.  I have used
>Promise cards exclusivly in the past, but I am looking
>at Highpoint cards for this machine.  Anybody have any
>opinions on RAID cards?

After the initial attempt to use Adaptec 2010S ZeroChannel raid
on one Supermicro Dual Opteron server that we use in our office,
i was really dissapointed by the abyssmal performance of this so
called raid card.
Then i have switched to GEOM stripe + mirror combination for RAID10,
and everybody is happy ever after :)
The zero channel was literally blown away by the gsripe+gmirror
performance in the benchmarks that i have made.

--niki